Friday, January 18, 2019

I had just told my boss that I was a writer with thousands of pages looking for homes when I ran into Malcolm Gladwell (Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers) on the street a few hours ago. I noticed him about twenty feet away.  He noticed me noticing him.  I said, "Malcolm Gladwell?!" and he nodded slowly and smiled slightly, and I just said, "You're great! Thank you!" and he smiled as we each kept walking without breaking stride. I think that was better than asking for a selfie. I know that super famous people don't want to be bothered walking down the streets of New York, but I imagine writers enjoy a little ego boost. I know very well I'd be glad.

I have a quote of his on my wall, among many others from other writers who inspire me.

"The Law of the Few says that there are exceptional people out there who are capable of starting epidemics.  All you have to do is find them."

Perhaps I should have annoyed him and asked him to be my connector, but he's described himself as more of a maven anyway.  

10 years ago I was reading Outliers: The Story of Success.  10,000 hours?  I'm not sure you can really quantify such things, but I've been writing pretty much every day since.  Thanks for the coincidence, universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment