Wednesday, January 4, 2017

1 Train Owed Me

Today I met a former Democratic governor of New York on the subway and had a 10 minute political discussion with him.  I liked that he was riding underground with us.  It's the first time I've ever met a politician.  I never thought that would occur on the subway.  As he put it, "You move from a 45 room mansion back to a two bedroom apartment in Harlem!"  I think I would much prefer the opposite, but then again, a 2 bedroom apartment sounds really good right now

Note:  I just checked my journal a few hours after writing this, and was happy to learn that I began moving to Harlem on January 3, 2014, and completed moving sometime after midnight on the subway on January 4, 2014.

When I first moved to New York in 2006, my friend told me that you weren't officially a "New Yorker" until you lived in the city for 3 years.  I resented that, because I'd been a resident of the state of New York my entire life, and in three different areas (Long Island, Capital Region, and Finger Lakes), with a lifelong connection to a fourth (North Country).  Why did the city dwellers get to be called that?  Either way, 11 years later, I have been living in my own residence in New York City for exactly 3 years, and for the first time on the island of Manhattan for exactly 3 years... more on that soon

No comments:

Post a Comment