Friday, January 6, 2017

Warmth

There's a hot water pipe in my room which provides the heat, and I guess overall I have to like it, because I need heat in the winter.  The problem is that hot/cold isn't a simple battle of good/evil, and is instead, as with most things in life, a relative spectrum with each side being preferable based on the circumstances.  So, when the heat kicks on full blast and I have no way to adjust it, I quickly find myself in a room with temperatures somewhere in the 80's, if not hotter.  If I'm really lucky, the pipe starts rattling with all sorts of strange pangs and bangs.  Opening a window is the obvious solution, but I can't sleep with it open all night, and besides, Broadway is too noisy.

I tell this tale simply to point out that I barely slept twice this week.  One of those nights was Wednesday night, which was even more frustrating because I was already exhausted from sleeplessness.

So on Thursday night, I was thinking I'd turn in early, but then it just started snowing, and all those snowflakes started flying by the streetlight right outside my window, and I knew what I had to do.  I opened my window, put on my layers, grabbed my camera, and went on another one of those long wandering walks that reminds me the world is a work of art.

I got home 2 hours later, to a perfectly comfortable room, and slept for a full night.

On the way to work today, I realized I had to look up the topic for workshop.  Yes, I know, I should prepare more, but I've done these workshops so many times that I have plenty of ideas for each topic.  Thankfully, the topic today was "Art & Music".

After many different activities and discussions, I played some music for them while they wrote stream of consciousness.  One girl wrote amazing rhyming poems in just minutes for each song.  They were much more creative than most groups.  As much as I fight with New York City in my mind, there's a lot of beauty here.

Life is good

No comments:

Post a Comment