Sunday, July 28, 2013

Festival

There was a kite festival today along the bay.  After spending most of the morning and afternoon packing, I finally traveled over there to check it out.  The kites were being flown in a park next to the marina, where I was able to park the car, so the experience started out in the boat yard.  As I walked along the boardwalk by the sailboats taking pictures and enjoying the sunlight reflecting on the waves of water, I realized I might as well have been on Long Island.  I felt like a young boy hanging out in the shipyard before going out on The Willet with my family.  I haven't been on a sailboat in ages.

When I had had my fill of boats I walked over to the field and saw the kites flying high: butterflies, ships, dragons, rainbows, and even a T-Rex with an ice cream cone.  I listened to music and took photographs and wandered around the grounds.  It didn't take long for me to get deja vu again, although this time I wasn't in Long Island, but Bonnaroo.  Open fields with pathways surrounded by kiosks and brightly colored objects flying in the sky.  It was more of a family affair, and much less crowded, but the idea was the same.

Eventually my wandering took me over to the bay, where I found a seat to stare at the waves.  The clouds had covered up San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, but the sun was still sparkling on our side from time to time.  I had a nice mental reminiscing session, remembering the journey from the East to the West, and everything that had happened in the strange new city.  I've been away from New York for 14 months, and living in California for 11 months, the Bay Area for 8.5.

I'm looking at almost three weeks in New York starting this week.  It will be the longest I've ever been away from "home," although part of the whole journey is making wherever you are your home.  Even so, it's hard to imagine what it will be like to see New York City, Cambridge and Lake Champlain again.  Although I am flying into NYC at the start, most of my time in the city will be spent during the last week at home, the week of August 11-18.  I'm not completely set on the dates yet, but that's what seems like a good guess right now.

I can smell the campfire already...

No comments:

Post a Comment