Sunday, July 6, 2014

'76

Memory lane...

Thoughts swirl through the mind...

I slept with the stars up in the sky overhead last night.  Someone needed my bed, so I grabbed my trusty sleeping bag/pad and truly stargazed on my back for the first time since I moved back East.  "Firefly, Spirit, Dreamer..."

I woke up before sunrise, and then again when the sun was high in the sky.

Breakfast with friends, a very tall waterfall, a lake, and a visit to a friend in his new house with his first child, a son.  He showed me around his home and his land, and then I drove straight from central New York, the land of my grandmother's ancestors and a university we know well, to the island of Manhattan.

I'm remembering eight years ago, having returned from a 4th of July in the NJ suburbs, to my friends' empty apartment in Brooklyn.  I would begin my first full week in NYC alone in that apartment, without anyone to meet up with.  The apartment was very hot, noisy, sticky, and infested with various vermin.  I was in New York, that place with the reputation and so on, and I didn't know anyone because all of my roommates were out of town.  I remember that I read a few books, took walks, and took notes.

Since then I've grown and learned while living around the world for a period equal to what it would have taken to get two more college educations.

Now, looking from my apartment, I don't think the aesthetics of my living situation have improved greatly!  That's not to say it hasn't at times, but given my tendency to go many places, I often find myself in interesting circumstances here and there.  Then again, I do have a nice view from this window to some trees and some skies, and the overall location is much better, at least for my preferences.

I'd always wondered what it would be like to live in Manhattan, amongst many other places.  Now I know.  I am always learning.

I wonder where independence will lead next...

No comments:

Post a Comment