Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Comeback

I'm having a great evening.

I was having a dream that I didn't like when I woke up this morning.

This morning was very hot, but that's normal.  What wasn't normal was going to the shower and finding that they had shut the hot water off.  Then again, that happened yesterday morning without warning too, so maybe it will become normal.

Luckily, the cold shower woke me up more and cooled my core so that I could endure what the day had in store.

Then the internet didn't work.  The internet always works.  So that's how it was going to be.

The iPod worked though.  So did my 600 song "Wordless Music" playlist, which I had fallen asleep to on "random," and which happened to be on Errol Garner.





I went to the subway and got on the train, and it wasn't that crowded, and I even got a seat!  But the air conditioning wasn't on, which isn't normal.  That happens, but it's not fun to go through, especially when you are in your work clothes and going to be in front of classes of students for six hours in a row.

Right as I decided I would like a drink of refreshing water, I realized that I had forgotten my water bottle at home.

I didn't get angry (if you don't count the shower part).  I just wiped the sweat from my brow just like everyone else and knew that the morning rush would pass.

As soon as I got to work, the day went well.  I was early, so I had time to relax and prepare.  The first lesson was a temporary private lesson that began today and will continue for a few days.  The student is very advanced and has all sorts of graduate education that makes me wonder why I'm the one teaching him.

Then I had a private lesson with two more students who will also leave the city in a couple days.  I laughed as I told them about my morning, and they laughed and told me that the day would get better.

The third lesson is the main lesson of the day, which began this week and will supposedly continue for the next eight weeks.  The class is three hours a day, intermediate level students, about half of whom are from Japan, which is always fun.  We're discussing advertising this week, and making up "attention grabbers" for ads.  Tomorrow we will create products and advertisements for them.

Once the day was complete I got to go home for a few hours.  Fortunately the new schedule has a 30 minute break for lunch during the third lesson, so I'm more energetic at the end of the day.  Although it's far from the end of the day at 4 pm.  Three days a week I have a private lesson on the Upper West Side beginning at 6:45, and then I have the same advanced group I've had four days a week for the past five weeks, from 8-10.  I enjoy the students, I am earning my stay in this city, and I'm able to be healthy and write.

When I walked up from the underground following a long day of work, I felt and saw the forces blowing through the trees, swirling everywhere around everybody.  I removed my headphones, walked a little out of the way to a pathway where I was sheltered by a canopy and could see the leaves above me, and enjoyed something that's not only free, but also one of the greatest gifts from the cosmic sea: the sound of life's winds in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment