Wednesday, June 5, 2013

64

  "Enthusiasm meant a trance, or ecstasy--a connection with God.  Enthusiasm is agape directed at a particular idea or a specific thing.  We have all experienced it."  --  The Pilgrimage, Paulo Coehlo

  I love my cousins, Mike and Dan.  They are my brothers without having the direct competition inherent in actually being my brothers.  We are related by blood, but far enough away to admire each other as people.  I love how Mike said that life is about "a curiosity toward and respect for everything."  I love that Dan has a Japanese tattoo that means "continuous improvement."  I think our grandfather Ted, would love both of those.  I'm not sure how much the former state trooper and Marine would like us listening to and loving the Wu-Tang Clan together, but generational differences are bound to occur.

  I think it was Christmas time 2008 when my cousin Dan and I went to the mall near his parents' home in New Jersey and Dan picked up a new copy of the Wu-Tang Clan's 8 Diagrams.  One of my fellow Wu-Tang fan friends had told me it was quality, so I recommended it to Dan.  The producer, RZA, said the title was derived from the I Ching's 64 oracular readings.  Dan pumped it up on the stereo as we pulled out of the parking lot.

  The first song, Campfire, opened with a sample from a Kung Fu movie:

   Today I'll talk about kindness
   Justice, faith, kindness and courage
   I want you to listen carefully
   Kindness and faith, are the foundation
   Without them, we can't become good people
   And with justice, we know we can lead a good life
   And how can I be a good man then, eh?
   Huh... well, first of all, you have to practice honesty
   Keep your temper, never lose control of yourself
   Keep control
   Be patient, if you learn to do these things,

you can master anything

______________________________________

  My favorite thing to do when I was growing up was running around my family's backyard in suburban Long Island and using my imagination to the maximum.  We owned 1/3 of an acre between neighbor's fences.  We had a single driveway, a one story house, and a little green space with a few trees and a shed.  I ran all over that thing for eleven years straight.  My parents wouldn't let me own a real Nintendo, and your eyes can only take so much Game Boy, so I ran and ran and ran all over the yard.  The few trees were a huge forest to me, and the jungle gym, lawn and whatever else was around me was whatever I wanted it to be.

  Now I'm grown up and I live in a city, so there is no backyard.  Then again, the entire world is my back yard.  I finally know that I can go wherever I want to grow.  There's this huge hill overlooking the whole city.  I just got back from it, in fact.  I love the city lights and the bridges and the boats in the bay.  There aren't that many stars, but there are enough.

  I just got back from seeing my cousins, Mike and Dan.  They are two of the most enthusiastic people I know, and I've known them as long as we've been alive.  Recently, I saw them in Mexico at Dan's wedding.  The last time I had seen them was at Mike's wedding in Texas.  This time, Mike's new wife remarked on how much I loved camping.  That was funny, because the night before, while describing some of my recent camping experiences with Mike, he'd put it into context by pointing out that I didn't really love living outside all the time, and that the grand curve of my life involved civilizations with lots of people around.  But I definitely do make the most of it when I want to.  I thought about Lynne's comment for a while, and I remembered why I loved camping so much.

  The first time I ever camped was in a little pup tent with my mom and sister in the backyard of our house, so I'm not sure if that really counts.  All I remember is having a flashlight on in the tent at some point, and it being weird to be there when our house was right there.

  But the first time I truly camped was with my cousins, Mike and Dan.  They always lived somewhere far away, like western New York, or Montreal. The first time I lived away from home without my family for more than a week was with them in Montreal.  Visiting them up there was also the first time I'd been to a foreign country.  They always had a really nice two story house and all the modern Nintendo games and household appliances.  They took vacations to cool places around the world, and generally seemed to love all of their opportunities.  Every time I saw them they were either arguing to the death about something, usually a video game, or separately confessing ultimate enthusiasm toward something in the world and talking incredibly excitedly about it.

  From age eleven to sixteen, Mike and Dan visited us at our new "farm" in upstate New York.  They were used to moving around, and moved across the ocean to England a year after we'd moved to Cambridge.  I was mad about that, because all of a sudden we were so much closer and it was easier to hang out more often, but after only a year they were going the furthest away yet.  But it didn't matter, because they still came back for two weeks every summer to get their farm fix.

  Right after I turned twelve years old the three of us walked the half mile through the corn fields, woods, hay bales and mowed trails up the hill to the enormous tree at the edge of my dad's newly acquired country property.  There was a barbed wire fence on the other side of the tree marking our neighbor's territory.  We slept in a tent, and in the morning Dan swore he saw a moose, even though he didn't have his glasses on and it was probably a deer, or a very large tree stump.  Whatever, I believe him.  He was very enthusiastic about it


   Those summers we would go swimming, row in the boat, camp in the fields, and sometimes even take trips up to the lake.  I remember seeing the South Park movie with them, and going to the mall, and listening to music, and playing lots of video games.  They were usually around for my birthday, and once, when I was 13, they convinced me not to spend my money on more Super Nintendo games and finally upgrade to Nintendo 64.  That’s how I got my hands on Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64, and eventually Donkey Kong 64.

  Mario and Donkey Kong were complex adventure games that made you work on hand-eye coordination, solve puzzles, persevere, and be playful while you did it.   You traversed a diversity of worlds and overcame challenges to seize the treasures in a world of imagination.

  Mario Kart 64 was about racing around and the rush of feeling free wherever you wanted to be.

   I soon upgraded to the James Bond video game Goldeneye, the ultimate secret agent first person viewpoint game.

   Like many in my generation, I spent a lot of time on these games.  But they were never as fun as when I played with my cousins.  Those times were about way more than video game screens though.

  Every year I saw them, they were excited about something new.  Especially Dan.  One year it was video games, and then one year he decided he was sick of being like his older brother and got a hair cut, contact lenses and a skateboard.  The next year it was learning Japanese, which our Japanese friends Toshi and Kazumi, who were also staying with us, loved very much.  The next year it was drums and Led Zeppelin.  I'll never forget how excited he was to demonstrate the first three cymbals on "Communication Breakdown" and "Wanton Song".  And to talk about how much they trashed their hotel rooms with motorcycles and being "badass".  It was a great pep talk the day before I got my driver's license and my parents' coincidentally gave me Led Zeppelin's Greatest Hits for my 16th birthday.  "Over the Hills and Far Away" reminds me of that summer.  Soon he was also about playing guitar and getting as drunk as possible.  We visited them in England that year, marking the first time I flew overseas on an airplane, visited the country with most of my family heritage, or went to a real foreign country besides Canada.  He became a big ladies man when his family moved him to Minnesota for his senior year of high school.  Coming from England made him extra exotic in their eyes.  Mike was already at college at Clarkson to become a computer whiz.  I visited them after my first year at college, and it was the first time I went on an airplane alone.

  I remember when we were really young, I would always get this really lonely feeling after they would leave their two week visit.  For two straight weeks I would have at least one of them to hang out with, whether it was video games, some outside activity, watching movies or just laughing like crazy about some great joke we'd just created.  Dan and I were always creating games together.  We once invented a game called "broom ball" where you basically played baseball with a broom, a volleyball, and a volleyball net, tagging people out kickball style.  Mike was the computer genius who was always engrossed in some technical project like fixing my parents' computer or organizing some activity because he was the responsible older one.  Then again, my sister was one year older than he was.  She loved them just as much as I did, but there was something about the three boys being together and causing mischief whenever possible.  Mike and Dan were always at each others throats, and I had to be the outside party peacemaker.  After two weeks of that, I'd often find myself completely alone in the house for some reason.  One time I just remember that my whole family left too, and I was alone on this farm with woods and fields, and I didn't know what to do, so I just tried to play adventure video games.  But that didn't work without someone to play them with.

  Years later I found myself far beyond video games and living at the farm.  I had just moved to New York City to follow the dream of living life like an adventure with rewards beyond imagining.  My first visitor was just a few days after I arrived.  My cousin Dan showed up with ultimate enthusiasm for my grungy gritty railroad apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.  Even though we drank like crazy the first night, he still got up to go jogging and follow his strict nutritious diet regimen, his newest enthusiastic pursuit.  Then we got on a train to Long Island to see Mike, Grandpa Ted, Grandma and the rest of the family.

  Three years after that I slept on his couch in Hoboken, New Jersey for a week, having just moved out of my apartment after three years of living it in New York City.  Dan had been working there for a year and spent most of it dating this one girl, Kelly, who lived in his building.  He was really excited about everything he did.  He was in sales now, so most of his talk was about that, but he was still open to new experiences.  At the end of that week we drove to Long Island again, for Grandpa Ted's birthday, and then I drove home to upstate New York to prepare for a big journey.  I'd just interviewed Grandpa Ted the week before, and he told me to get around as much as possible while I still could if I had the desire and I was still young and unattached.  He knew what he was talking about.  He hitchhiked along the eastern coast, fought in World War II, and rode horses in Mexico.

   A few months after returning to the farm and readjusting to rural life after ultimate urban life, Dan and I went to the ultimate mixture at Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee.  It was definitely a shift from his normal world, just like the farm.  He left me alone the third day because he had to get to work on Monday, and I told him it was okay and insisted after he felt bad.  He had to leave me to go on my adventure.  He and my friend left me with a tent, and I hitched a ride for the first time in my life, and later that year I went to India.  I also got this great scar on my arm to remind me that all sorts of people have made me tough enough to deal with all this stuff.  Seven months later I came home from a multinational journey, and I saw Mike and Dan at my sister's wedding at the farm.  Later that year I camped out around America as much as possible on a Greyhound/hitchhiking journey through the south, from NYC to San Francisco.  On the way I stopped in Austin, Texas, where Mike put me up in his house and kicked off my western camping festivities with me at the Canyon of the Eagles.

  Over a year later I returned from a year in Japan, and found myself at Mike's wedding in Austin, Texas, where Dan gave a stellar best man speech.  We all rode horses together.  It was my first time.  One night we all went out back in the field and had a smoke while meditating on our fearless leader, Grandpa Ted.  He had died the year before while I was in Japan, on May 31st, 2011, the end of my first month there.  I was wearing an army combat jacket and dancing on a train when he left the world.  I'd just taught my first decent class with first and second graders.

    Last week, after a year away from family on the road in America, moving from New York to San Francisco, I flew down to Mexico for Dan's wedding.  Mike was the best man.

   I had been camping around the country for months before starting in California, partially out of my personal thirst for experience, and partially as an ode to our departed grandfather, Ted.

  Dan got married on May 31st, on the two-year anniversary of Grandpa Ted's leaving the world.  I think he would have loved the fact that three of his grandsons were all together having a great time with family, old and new.

   Now I'm back to my life in California.  I am currently single, but Grandpa Ted told me to love it while I can, because someday, even though I'll love having a family, it will never be the same.  He told me all of this at 17 Jackson Street, where he was born and I was brought home as a new human, the day before I moved out of my apartment in Queens after three years of learning how to be an adult in New York City.  I moved onto my cousin Dan's couch for a night, and then drove out to celebrate Ted's 83rd birthday.  He had two more left.  I would make the last one.

   Meanwhile, Dan was on his way in and I was on my way into somewhere different.  Now he and Mike have great women to love and be loved by, and great lives to share with them.

  For now, I have Grandpa Ted's highway trooper aviator glasses.  I don't think I'd have earned them if Dan hadn't shown me the brilliance of Led Zeppelin or Mike hadn't shown me how to master Mario/Kart 64.

______________________________________________
 

   My favorite camping memory of all time was when we were starting to grow up and think of ourselves as tough men.  We were barely teenagers, but we were brave.  We went camping on the hill, even though the coyotes cackled hysterically every time.  We were used to it.  We weren't used to the sounds we heard this time though.  Sometime after midnight we heard a loud snorting, and then a large crack, and heavy footsteps, and a loud huffing, and fearsome snorting, and it kept getting closer… and closer… and closer…

  After twenty minutes of quiet whispered terrified debate and planning ("I TOLD you I saw a moose, you ***holes!"  "You didn't see a moose, you ****head!"  "I did and there's one out there right now!"  "Maybe there is, but there wasn't before!"  "Guys, stop yelling, it's getting closer!"), we made a run for it the quarter mile to the house, across the fields, down the hill, through the woods and to my parents’ safe home.  My biologist dad later explained to us that it was probably a buck deer that felt threatened by our presence.

  I'll never forget the thrill of running through the dark forest with my cousins, away from some beast that would have done who knows what to us if we hadn't taken action.  It turns out it was just our imaginations, but it felt realer than anything we'd simulated on a TV screen together.

_____________________________________________

  Any time I begin a big project, I get a little intense about it and listen to "Striving For Perfection" performed by Raekwon and Ghostface of the Wu-Tang Clan.  They're a little rougher than the Sanford-Thompsons, but I loved listening to them with Dan whenever he came to visit New York and get pumped about moving there, or getting a job, or me going on a journey, or whatever it was that was worth being enthusiastic about in this uncertain world.  I remember sitting on the rooftop and looking at the New York City skyline and listening to that song:

  "S'up cousin, how you doin'?
  "As long as the love and the trust is there
We gonna grow, God, we gonna grow like a plant, son.
  We gotta move God, we gotta move God, we gotta migrate.
  Yo God, my baby's in here God, see I gotta take time man
  And raise my family man
  Ya know what I'm sayin? Sit around man, my grand kids man
  But yo Son, it's like this man
  We all living man, we here now man
  Let's not think like we going to be stagnating, man
  Let's keep moving ahead man, keep our head up man
  Take care of our families man
  God, word is bond, I'm the eyes that's in back of you, kid
  Let's do it then." 





No comments:

Post a Comment