Monday, June 3, 2013

"Way down here, you need a reason to move..."

When I completed my American journey to the top of Pyramid Peak in Washington, I came down from the mountain and camped amongst people in the campgrounds.  A wise man told me that the real secret to life is finding out how to bring the magic back down from the mountain.

Today I just got back from the most relaxing and fun vacation I've had in a long time.  I think that's why it was a vacation.  I'm really happy that I got to spend so much excellent time with my family, especially my cousins, in such a spectacular setting.  The ocean, the sand, the pool, the hot tub, the stars, the moon, the familiar faces, the new people, the comfortable bed, that weird guy on the TV who kept saying that "it is not what is written on the page that matters, but what is written in the heart" and then "the whales do not sing because they have an answer, but because they have a song".

When he saw his bride approaching, my cousin Dan teared up in front of me for the first time since we were kids.  Life has been great ever since they got married.  Meals with many different family members and their friends, naps whenever I want, and the sound of the ocean whenever I want.  I also went swimming in the ocean for the first time in almost two years.  I can't begin to describe how great that was.  Best of all, I remembered the thrill of dodging flashlights when you're having a great time after hours in a place they don't want you to be, like the hot tub at 3 in the morning.  And then talking them into letting us stay.

I got home a few hours ago.  The freeway is still here.  Maybe it won't be a month from now.  I'm going to decide tomorrow.  I did a lot of great thinking and got a lot of universally good advice down in Mexico.

I'll write more about it all tomorrow.  After class...

Hopefully I'll be able to bring the magic back from the ocean.

















No comments:

Post a Comment