Friday, June 14, 2013

Peace, Love and Music

 Jazz Legend Ahmad Jamal
 He influenced Miles Davis
 and mentored Hiromi Uehara



As I mentioned yesterday, the annual Bonnaroo Arts & Musical Festival has begun in Tennessee.  I haven't attended in four years, but it always turns out that I'm experiencing something magical at this time of year.  The name Bonnaroo means "best in the streets" or "really good time," and originated in New Orleans.  Jazz also originated in New Orleans, so I couldn't think of a better way to begin the weekend than with such a positive player with glowing energy.  The last time I saw an old-time living jazz legend was Ornette Coleman, at Bonnaroo.

The last time I attended Bonnaroo, I was left there on the final day without a ride.  Then I slipped on these wet stairs, fell and sliced open my arm on the metal railing, creating a wound an inch deep.  It took seven stitches to sew it up.  Then I had to walk around asking people for rides with my bloody bandage on.  I had these really old cruddy flip flops on, which is probably why I slipped in the first place, and by the end of the night I could barely walk.  I felt like a total clown as I stumbled back to my tent.  But at least someone gave me a ride to the airport, and then someone else picked me up and gave me a place to stay when the flights were booked, and then my friend picked me up at the airport at home and drove me to get a tetanus shot (hour 47 of 48 when it would still work) before bringing me home.  I still have the scar.

During the show tonight, a man in the row in front of me wanted to exit, but someone was seated next to him, whereas no one was blocking the row I was in.  So he tried to climb over the folded seats.  He was a bit heavy, although not obese.  Even so, he was struggling a little, and grabbed onto the chair next to me, which happened to have my coat and camera on it, and I was a little worried he would grab them  by mistake.  Instead the seat folded down as he gripped it, and he fell backwards onto the row in front of him, sprawled out ridiculously, although it appeared somewhat comfortably too.  Davies Symphony Hall is a classy venue.  The man next to him tried to help him up, and then I extended my hand and together we pulled him back up to standing upright.  He said thank you to me several times.  I've been very behind on sleep since my camping adventure, and taking a nap this afternoon really put me in a strange funk.  But I couldn't stop smiling after I helped the guy up.  I think this was for two reasons.  The first is that it's always funny when someone falls down like that, as long as they're not seriously hurt.  The other is that the scar on my arm reminds me that everybody falls down and looks ridiculous at times, and needs other people to help them up.

Having fun is the main theme of Bonnaroo, but it's also about helping others stand up too.

Hiromi dedicated the song Love & Laughter to you, and that song helps me stand up when I'm feeling blue.

Thank you for that, Ahmad.

BONNAROO!

No comments:

Post a Comment