Sunday, June 30, 2013

The 29th

Today is a very special day for me.  For the past three years it has reminded me just how lucky and fortunate I have been to experience life's opportunities, and to see everything I could see and be with everyone with whom I could be.

In 2010 I returned to America after seven months away on my own.  I'd been to the strangest and most stressful places I'd ever been, and also saw more amazing beauty and magic of the universe than I could have imagined before I summoned the courage and found the encouragement to go on an unknown adventure which appealed to me.  I was very happy to be home, very lucky to still be moving and much more appreciative of my life, the people in it and whatever the world made itself that enabled me to experience it that way.

_____________________

When I arrived in California a few months ago, one of my friends remarked that there was something cynical about my travels because I wasn't a refugee or hadn't risen up from poverty.  I was just a privileged educated white guy in his prime doing whatever he wanted, albeit on a shoestring budget compared to some other travelers.

A few nights ago someone referred to my travels as "traipsing about like a high school or college student," and that although I had "been near" suffering in the world, I hadn't experienced any because I didn't grow up in true poverty, only slightly below the national average, so my encouragement to others to seek their own journey isn't fair to others because they don't have the life and the background and the opportunities I did, especially financially, because my parents were civil servants who turned down more lucrative opportunities in the private sector.

A week ago, when I asked my students how to spend our charity money, one of the students attempting to get in my good graces with respect to attendance wrote that they should give the money to me so that I could go travel and see more of the wonders of the world and come back and share my discoveries and experiences with everyone.

I think I'll give him an A.

Anyway, three years ago I got back to New York City after seven months away on the amazing journey.  At the time I had no idea I would be so lucky as to experience several more in different ways.  To anyone who wishes they could do what I've done, I wish you the best of luck in doing it your own way.  Figure out what your strengths are, figure out the windows the world opens for you to use them in a way that profits your soul and others', and keep moving forward with your dreams in focus.

To anyone who thinks it's crazy or irresponsible or worst of all, immature, I say that I don't care at all what anyone thinks about that, because I had the absolute best time of my life, and it's my life, and I lived it that way.  Many other people enjoyed that journey with me while living their own journey, and I still carry the lessons of that voyage with me.  Although my pain, loneliness, confusion, doubt, extreme discomfort and existence separated from all familiar love of friends and family may have been temporary and chosen, it was more challenging and rewarding than my other options, which were to continue temping or to go to law school.

Six years ago today I walked away from my job as a banking paralegal in Rockefeller Center.  Three years ago I returned from India-Ireland and celebrated by finally standing on Top of the Rock.  It was the perfect time of day, atop Manhattan around 7:30 in late June, watching the sunset on one of the greatest metropolises on the beautiful ball.  I had this pass the entire time I worked across the street, but never used it.  This time I was in the mood for doing the types of things that were always there and I'd never bothered to explore, so I bought a ticket and enjoyed the view.

I know I made the choice that brought me and other humans the most joy.





You'll do what you will with that.  If you want to see the world, the gates are open.  You just might have to take time imagining and creating the keys to set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment